Sunday, April 17, 2011

My First 10K

In October of 2009, I ran my first ever race since high school! I spent 3 months gearing up from my couch potato status until I was ready to run a 5K. I completed it in 34 minutes and 4 seconds. And feeling SO motivated after my race...

I stopped running for a year and a half.

It appears that I had to get back to the things I neglected for those 3 months of training, like mommy duty with the 5 month old son in the house and the school year kicking in!

But time marches on and in January of 2011, I decided to start running again so that I could complete another 5K.

But I let a friend talk me into something completely nuts...

a 10K

Yes, that means I decided to become one of the nutty people that would willingly run for about an hour.

So I spent the last few months gearing up for the 10K, running 3 times a week. One particular Saturday I pushed myself and completed a 5 mile run. My feet were burning and my toes hurt.

Suddenly, the 10K didn't seem like such a good idea. In fact, after that 5 mile run, I decided to only run 3.5 miles max.

Until today.

Today, I had to race the 10K.

Admittedly I was a bit nervous about the burning feet issue. And, as expected, around the 4.5 mile mark, the toes began to hurt. But I pressed on and finished the race.

I completed the 6.2 mile run in 1 hour, 3 mins, and 02 seconds.

At the end of the race, my father, husband, and kiddos came to cheer me on to the finish.

Wanting to acknowledge their presence, I waved at them.

And that is the only shot of my running. The one where I am waving at the camera.

I look like such a pro, don't I?

Lovely.



Photobucket

6 comments:

Gema Writer said...

Congratulations!
You don't just look like a pro, you are one......
Gema

Sincerely Anna said...

I'm so excited for you! Woohooo!!

Amy said...

Great job! Such an inspiration! You look great!

julie.schellin said...

Great job Mary!

Lindsay said...

WTG!! You did great and still totally look like a pro!

AnnG said...

Awesome job!! That's is a great pace!! Whoohhoo!

 

Blog Design by: Jolanthe