Monday, January 17, 2011

Advent Season, Part V – Christmas

Christmas Eve

For the first time in MANY years, we were able to spend Christmas Eve at home!  We decided to host a Christmas Eve dinner for my parents, Gema, and Uncle.  I had never hosted a holiday meal and was quite excited to do so.

You would think I would have taken a picture of our lovely evening, but I did not.  l will just have to remember how wonderful it was through this blog entry... 

I cooked a turkey for the first time and it was DELICIOUS!  It took HOURS because it was still partially frozen (OOPS), so we began dinner before it was done, but it was well worth the wait.  It finished up just in time and we all enjoyed it immensely!

My hubby declared it was  the best turkey that he has ever had.  Perhaps he was exaggerating…but the entire group agreed that it was delicious and juicy!

Since I don’t particularly enjoy cooking and it was my first turkey, I was delighted to hear that I had done such a great job!  I wish I had written down some trick that I did, but I didn’t.  I’ll just have to wing it again the next time.

If there is a next time.  Because it seems that I can only go downhill from here when it comes to turkey baking!

IMG_3407We also sang Happy Birthday to my mother and I made her a cheesecake.  Her birthday falls on Christmas Day, so she usually gets a bit neglected during the craziness of the day.

My hubby and I spent the evening finalizing the wrapping of the kids’ gifts.

Christmas Day

Each child wakes up to a little mini stocking in their bed.  This year they contained a parachute soldier and a littlest pet shop pet.

Then we proceed downstairs for gifts under the tree.  Our general rule of thumb is three gifts:  one you really want, a game or puzzle, and something else small you’ll enjoy.

(I read the following somewhere this year and thought it was a cute way to purchase gifts, though we don’t use it:  something I want, something I need, something to wear, something to read)

Both of the girls received American Girl dolls this year for their “big gift”.  (The story behind finding the EXACT ones I needed at the EXACT price I needed is a post for another time)  They were thrilled.  K received Molly and T received Emily Bennett. 

IMG_3422

T’s smaller gift was a “paint your own dollhouse furniture” kit.

IMG_3418

D (age 3) received a large collection of cardboard blocks as his big gift.  (Thanks to craigslist and freecycle)  And, as shown in the picture, he also received the bucket of soldiers.

IMG_3419

C (age 1) received a “Band in a Box” for his big gift. 

We spent the evening at my parent’s opening gifts and spending time with family.  One of the most exciting gifts of the evening was the "Blurb” book that my father gave my grandmother (his mom) for Christmas.  She wrote a short story that he typed into a blog for her.  Then he had each of the grandchildren illustrate three scenes for the book.  Finally, he scanned in the pictures and turned it into a book using, “Blurb”.

She was thrilled!

IMG_3461 IMG_3466

We all got the book autographed by the author, because Dad got copies for each of his kids as well.

IMG_3478

The kids enjoyed their gifts and playing with their cousins.  C had a great time getting in the mix with everyone.

 IMG_3490

D loved his new pirate ship.

IMG_3492

My brother’s girls got AG dolls for Christmas as well, so it was an AG doll party.

IMG_3497

Then the kids put on a Nativity finger puppet show while Poppy read the Christmas Story.

IMG_3505

It was a wonderful Christmas!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Sounds wonderful!!!

What is a "Blurb"? I've never heard of it. It sounds wonderful and the pictures of grandmother speak for the joy and pleasure it brought. I'd truly like to know more about it.

AnnG said...

What a great Christmas you had! The kids obviously had fun with their cousins, too!

 

Blog Design by: Jolanthe