Sunday, September 30, 2007

The National Book Fair

Have I ever mentioned that I LOVE DC? Oh yeah, I have. Well, let me say it again...I LOVE DC!

This weekend, we took the girls to Washington DC for the National Book Fair. The weather was so perfect and we had a great time. This was our first trip to the National Book Fair, so we had no idea what it would be like. Let me tell you, it was GREAT! It took up 7 blocks of the National Mall with tons of activity. We headed straight to the PBS kids section so we could meet our favorite characters.

There were activities for the kids.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

There were fun games with prizes.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And of course, there were our favorite characters. You waited in fairly short lines to get a picture with the character. The great thing was that they took a Polaroid shot and put it in a little frame book for the kid. So we have keepsake Polaroids of the girls with Curious George, Wyatt, Princess Pea, Cassie the dragon, and Brother Bear.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Now...you CANT go to an event in DC without seeing someone protesting something! Yes, that sign says, "Books not Bombs".
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

After about 2 hours, we left the Fair and headed to a few monuments. We walked past the Washington Monument. (Didn't I tell you the day was perfect? Just look at that sky!)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Eric and I wanted to see the WWII Memorial because we had only seen it from the car. It was so well done. The best part was that we happened to get there as a group of veterans were being dropped off. There was about 30 WWII veterans there with their families. Watching them take such pleasure in the memorial, taking pictures with their sons and grandsons, seeing their reactions and faces was my favorite part of the day. It was truly great to be there at the same time as they were. We had K take our picture at the fountains in the center.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

There are 4000 stars on the back wall. They represent over 400,000 men who died while serving our country in the war. It is an amazing image.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Our next stop was the Vietnam Veterans War Memorial. This wall is unspeakably remarkable. Listed on the wall are the names of EVERY man who died in the war while serving the United States. They are listed in chronological order of their death date. The memorial wall evokes such emotion as you walk along it. It is a quiet place. As soon as you begin to walk, there is a hushed silence that overtakes everyone as they remember these men.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

We were there to visit one particular name. Jennifer's father died while serving in the Vietnam War. She has mentioned him before on her blog. Please take a moment to read her story about him. We went that day to take some pictures of his name for her. It was such a reminder that EVERY name on that wall is somebody's son. It is quite possibly somebody's husband, father, or grandfather. (as it is in Jennifer's case) It was a honor to see his name and to remember the sacrifice he made.

Captain David P. Gibson

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Then, we headed home on the Metro. I think the Metro ride is a favorite part of the journey for the girls!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


post signature

22 comments:

Momma Roar said...

What a fun trip Mary! Next time let us come along!

What a lovely thing to do for Jennifer!

Short Stop said...

What a fun day, and you captured it so well with the pictures! The girls look like they had SO much fun!

jennifer said...

Mary
I am so humbled. I had to compose myself after the email, and couldn't even speak because of your daughter speaking of my dad on the way to church.

I am forever grateful, and will always remember this kindness you have done.

God Bless You
Jennifer

Penless Thoughts said...

Mary, I just read Jennifer's post about this and it brought tears to my eyes.

I came right here to read your account and to thank you for being Jesus hands and feet to Jennifer!!!

What a thoughtful, awesome thing you did for her. The grand part is, I'm sure it blessed you so and you will never look at that wall without thinking of Jennifer and her father.
Susan

Sittintall said...

Looks like you had a great time!

Just Mom said...

Oh how I wish I could have gone. Maybe next time....

Mary said...

What a wonderful way to spend the day! We are planning a trip to DC for the summer of '08. Would you mind if I pick your brain a little over the next few months? I haven't been to DC since 1983 and I'm guessing a few things have changed since then.

Christin said...

So you picked BookFair?! Sweet! It looks like FUN!! I'm going to have to show my husband this when he comes home. Maybe next year, we'll make the trip and do it too!!

Yep. Gotta love DC

Amy said...

What a wonderful day you had. Reminds me of how much I miss going to DC. It was one of my favorite places to go too. Thanks for sharing!

Short Stop said...

Also, just had to tell you what an awesome thing you did for Jennifer! I know she will cherish those pictures forever!

~Just A Thought Ginger said...

How fun and wonderful. Never been to DC. I think it would be amazing.

Amber said...

Looks like you had FUN!!! Your children are precious and it's nice to see a pic of you and DH too:)

God Bless,
Amber

diana said...

sounds like a wonderful trip. one that i would like to do sometime. your girls look like they enjoyed it all.

i just got done reading jen's post on your thoughtful gesture. that was so nice of you. it's very heartwarming to know what people are willing to do for each other. even ones that only know each other through the blogosphere. you can tell from what jen wrote how special it was for her.

Susan Kelly Skitt said...

What a great trip. Books... our family loves them too!

I just wanted to tell you what a wonderful thing you did for Jen. I just recently "met" her through blogging and am pleased to now "meet" you too.

God bless. I hope to visit again soon:)

Lisa said...

Glad you had a great day.
I read your link about Jen's dad from her blog...you did a wonderful thing!

Pam said...

What a sweet action of love for you to take those photos for our Pen of Jen! I came right over from her blog as soon as she mentioned it. What a blessing. It brought tears to my eyes. I can't imagine the emotion Jen must have felt. Bless you for blessing her!

The Small Scribbler said...

You live in such a fun part of the country! It looks like you all had so much fun.

You described the atmosphere of the Vietnam memorial perfectly.

Kate

Lori said...

What a fun time. It was so much fun to see the pictures. We'd love to go to DC sometime(hopefully in a couple of years). Al has a brother that lives in Connecticut. Hey maybe we'll have to hook up and try to meet each other.

We like book fairs here too..but they are nothing like that.

MorningSong said...

I want to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so jealous. :)

What a thoughtful person you are to think of Jennifer while you were there. It is obvious that your girls get their thoughtfulness (in the prior post) from you.

Blessings.

Kris said...

Wow! Sounds like a great day! I love the pic that your daughter took, too! What a great shot!
K

Sarah Markley said...

I can't even begin to say how great this looks! First, DC is one of my favorite cities EVER! Secondly, the last time I was there was this past February when it was like about 6 degrees and so much snow. A bit cold for a California girl. Also, I would love to take my kids to the book fair some day. What a treat!

Kristin's Memories said...

I am trying to figure out how you got so many pictures on one post?
Help?!?!? LOL

 

Blog Design by: Jolanthe