Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Lord never slumbers

**11:05 PM - UPDATE - Eric called. The ER doctors have given her another type of treatment in her nebulizer and will recheck her at 1 AM. In the meantime, she is thrilled to be with daddy in the middle of the night and is picking out book titles! I am going to get some sleep. One of us will need it.

**Sunday 9:30 AM - T is fine and got some sleep last night while breathing normally! We are taking her to the doctor's today to recheck her. Thanks all for your prayers and thoughts. I am a tired mommy, so I won't be returning calls or emails till later today.

What began as a date night for the hubby and I has ended in a trip to the ER for little T. Eric is there with her as I type.

We knew it was not going to be a good night. T has airway issues and whenever she gets a cold, it usually leads to more. We have been to the ER several times with her struggling to breathe. It is typically due to croup with stridor, which leads to a horrible sound each time she inhales. She also begins to wheeze and her breathing becomes quite labored.

We have all of the proper in home treatments, so we knew what to do when she woke up with that croupy sounding cough tonight. We used her nebulizer. We gave her an oral steroid. Then, Eric and she sat in the bathroom while the hot shower filled the room with steam. Unfortunately, the treatments weren't working tonight.

She ended up in a state of panic, struggling to breathe. It sounded horrible as she gagged and cried. This, of course, sent me into a state of panic immediately. Watching her struggle to breathe grips my heart with fear like nothing else can do. I feel so scared, so helpless, and so afraid all at once.

Thankfully, my husband remains calm. He has asthma and has dealt with this issues his entire life. He calmly informs me that she is just panicking and needs to calm down. He took her outside for a little walk. Slowly, he carried her down the street and talked to her about all of the things that were outside. She began to calm down and knowing that she was in good hands, I headed into the house.

I, unfortunately, was not as calm. I let the tears fall as I sat in the living room. My sense of fear in these situations is overwhelming. I began to pray for her protection and God brought Psalm 121 to my mind. In verse 3 it says, "...he who watches over you will neither slumber nor sleep." A sense of peace began to fill my spirit. The one who created T is protecting her RIGHT NOW! He will not slumber. He will not sleep. He is watching. He is here.

I joined Eric and T outside for a little bit as we searched for "la luna". Then we all headed in to watch, Cars (her favorite movie). After 45 minutes, her breathing was still labored, so we made the decision to have Eric take her to the ER. She was calm as they left, though the sounds of her breathing were rough.

She is going to be ok, but I am waiting for the phone call I need to hear that all is well. It is hard to sit here and wait, but typing is helping to pass the time.

It is Saturday night around 10:45 PM, if any of you are reading this around that time, please pray for little T tonight! I will hop on tomorrow to let you know that she is OK (once we all get a little sleep)


Psalm 121
I lift my eyes to the hills- where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip- he who watches over you will not slumber,
Indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord watches over you - the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all harm - he will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.


post signature

21 comments:

Sherri@NoiseOverload said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherri@NoiseOverload said...

Mary,

I am thankful that the Lord is bringing His truths to your heart. I will pray for you and beautiful T right now.

Sherri

Joy said...

Praying for you all too.

This hits close to home for me. Matt, my 3 yr old, just saw the doctor yesterday for asthma and allergies. It is scary and I panic too!

Hugs and prayers!

Carrie! :o) said...

Awww, Mary. I am so sorry. I know the fear in your momma heart. (((Hugs))) I am so glad they are getting a new treatment at the ER. I pray it works. Poor little thing. You get some rest and know that she's in good hands! :o)

Dawnelle said...

I can understand how it must be scary when she can't breathe- I would get scared, too. Hoe you get rested and she has a good night!

Short Stop said...

I'm praying for T this morning. Hope you were able to get some rest last night!

CDPJ said...

My thoughts are with your family. My son has asthma and we had a scary situation last spring that required a trip to the emergency room and a two-night hospital stay. There is nothing harder than watching a child suffer and not being able to do anything about it. Sounds like she is in good hands! Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Just Mom said...

Just checking in on how everything is with your little one.

I know how scary croup with stridor can be. My son used to get a croupy cough every time he caught a cold. His wasn't as severe as your little T's, though. My son outgrew it (thank God) soon after he turned 3. He's 4 1/2 now.

Praying for you all.

~Just A Thought Ginger said...

"The Lord watches over you - the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all harm - he will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore."

I just love this scripture! Isn't it awesome how our Lord brings His Word to us in the midst of the storm. He is a God of peace and He desires peace in our homes and in our hearts. Praying for you right now that your little darlin' is finding peace and comfort that only our Healer can give. May you find rest for your physical being and rest in your mind as the Lord reassures you of His protection over your family.

Amy said...

I'm so sorry you had such a rough night. I'm glad to hear T is doing better. I can imagine how scary that is for everyone. I would have been a mess in that situation. Hope you were able to get some sleep.

MorningSong said...

Sorry to hear about your awful news. I know she is better now but I am praying that T will respond well to her treatments. I pray she will not show any other symptoms while you are having this family fun. Meanwhile, I thought you may find this uplifting:
http://highlandshomeschoolers.blogspot.com/2007/09/he-gently-leads-us.html

Blessings!

diana said...

how scary - for all of you. i'm sorry i didn't read this last night cuz i would definitely have been praying. i can see why that piece of scripture would be so comforting to you.

i'm glad she's feeling and breathing better now.

LilyLakeMom said...

I'm so sorry about T.
I hope today was a better day.
My son has asthma and when they are struggling to breathe it is always scary.

Lane said...

Ooooh, we have those same issues at our house! Gotta love the croupy stridor gunk! I'm so glad she is ok and I hope you were ALL able to get some rest. I keep wondering if this will be a hard winter since it's starting off with a bang.

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

Mary, it's late Sun. night and I'm just now reading this - I'm sorry it's been a rough weekend for ya'll, but I'm glad things are better. I'll go right now and pray. I, too, have been reminded lately of how the Lord never slumbers, so we can rest safely in Him. My prayer for you is quick recovery for T. and rest for you all! Much love!

Foxy5 said...

Isn't it great that your husband has strength in areas where you are weak? My husband has asthma too and he would have been the one calming things down while I freaked, but in ANY other situation things would have been reversed. God really does have it all planned out.
It's good to hear that she is doing better. Hope the new meds work wonders. Blessings to you.

Christin said...

Oh Mary. I cried as I read this. It pulls on the heartstrings of my mommy's heart. There is nothing more that scares me than to think my little ones are in danger.
Thank God for his faithfulness and for giving you a husband that can remain steadfast during it all.

Hugs and prayers!

Momma Roar said...

I feel so behind Mary and I wish I could have read this and been praying over the weekend for your dear little T. I am thankful that she is home and feeling better.

I loved your vacation pictures below!!

Heather C said...

((((((Mary)))))) I can imagine the fear you felt. There's nothing like seeing one of your children suffer and having to place them into the Lord's hands. His faithfulness is great, but the anxiety can be as well. Isn't it just like Him to lead you to that Psalm! :)

Glad she's doing better. You are all in my prayers.

Kris said...

Thinking of you...praying that all is better...
K

Lori said...

Thinking of you.
I'm sorry I read this late too.
I will still be praying for all of you. I hope she recovers well and feels much better.

 

Blog Design by: Jolanthe