Friday, September 28, 2007

Lessons from my daughter

(*The neighbor's name has been changed...just in case)

My sweet girls spent the afternoon putting stickers on paper. They used up their entire Princess Memo pads. Then they put the papers they had created in their buckets. They spent the afternoon playing all kinds of games with them.

Then K(age4) stated that she had made them for all of our neighbors and wanted to deliver them. We took a little walk and gave the neighbors who were home one of the sheets that K decorated. Most of the neighbors weren't home, but those who were thanked her and smiled.

After dinner, K wanted to go outside and deliver the rest of the papers. We took them out to the boys who were playing outside. She handed them out. All of them, except one accepted her paper. One little boy(age 6) handed it back and said, "I don't want this." I quickly took it, hoping she didn't notice and there wouldn't be any hurt feelings. We delivered the rest of them to everyone else outside.

On the way home, K said to me, "Why didn't Brad want this?" I nicely stated, "Well, sometimes people don't want the nice things we make for them. That's OK. It was still nice of you offer him one."

Of course, I was thinking that I wished Brad had just taken the paper and said thank you. I was hoping she didn't have her feelings hurt. I was thinking he was a very ungracious little boy...until she said...

"I wonder what Brad would like. What do you think I could make him that he would like to have?"

Such an amazing response. No judgement. No unkind thoughts. No resentment. Just a loving desire to serve someone else and to meet their needs.

May I learn the same response.


I Cor 13:5 "It [love] is not self-seeking..."

post signature

24 comments:

Lisa said...

Well, Miss K could sure teach me a thing or two.
What an amazing thing to say...you must be really proud.
It's good to learn early, that in life, there is always going to be a "Brad" along the way. Can't please everybody.
You have got a good, good girl!

diana said...

what an amazing attitude. sometimes we can learn so much from our kids. we just have to be open to be taught and be listening to what they say.

thanks for sharing and hope you have a great weekend.

MightyMom said...

we should all strive to have the heart and faith of a child.

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

Her heart is so tender - what a blessing to have such a sweet daughter! The Lord instructs us with all kinds of teachers, large and small,doesn't He?

Sittintall said...

You have quite a grown up little girl on your hands. I'm sure that was a very proud moment. She has a big heart!

Foxy5 said...

That is really sweet. I was reading, just waiting for you to say that she burst into tears. Did she come up with an idea for something to make for him?

Refresh My Soul Blog said...

This is great! I love how innocent our children are. I love your daughters response! There is so much we can learn from them!

Thanks for you sweet comment on my blog!
Much love,
Angela

Dawnelle said...

So sweet! Thanks for sharing that story. :)

Short Stop said...

She has such a tender, sweet heart. And, wow...what a lesson to be learned from her attitude!

~Just A Thought Ginger said...

Every time I look at the precious faces of your children I am blessed! You can see the sweet spirit of K just looking at her. You have taught her well. I know you already told her how proud you are of her. Just think of the smile she put on the face of Jesus :)

MorningSong said...

Wow!! What a beautiful idea. We all could use that response instead of expressing frustration at their rude behavior. Your daughter has a beautiful heart!

Blessings.

Tarrah said...

How sweet your little girl is. We all need to have a serving & possitive attitude like this. Our children are so pure and it's sooo beautiful :)

Amy said...

How wonderful of K. I've been in that situation myself a few times since Allison loves to share EVERYTHING and luckily no feelings were hurt. Let's hope as they get older they will continue to think positive about these types of experiences.

Grafted Branch@Restoring the Years said...

And doesn't Jesus, likewise, offer us something really nice that He did for us...and sometimes people just don't want it.

Sounds like her first opportunity to get a child-sized glimpse into what it is to share in the fellowship of His sufferings. (Phil 3)

A very sweet girl. :)

Carrie! :o) said...

Wow, Mary! You have raised that little girl right! What a beautiful response. Alot of adults could learn a thing or two from her!!

Alana said...

Sweet girl.

I have to say, though, I'm sitting here wondering if my six year old boy would have been thoughtful enough to take the paper. I sure hope so!

Tip Junkie said...

That is a wonderful response. I needed that reminder was well. ;)

Traci said...

That is a sweet story. I have been praying for ways to better serve people. This incident shows it's all about our attitude. At times we may do things for people who may not appreciate it, but that doesn't mean we stop serving. Thanks for the reminder!

Christin said...

I LOVE it!!!! I love how little children can blow away our expectation of their reaction...when they respond with such sincere grace and love.

Such a sweet heart!! So did you think of something to make him? ;)

Amber said...

I love it when we learn lessons through our children, you are blessed to have such loving children.

God Bless,
Amber

Susan Kelly Skitt said...

Your little one sounds like she has a tender heart... beautiful. If only we would have that kind I Cor. 13 love for others...

Great post!

Lori said...

OH how sweet of her to wonder what he would like.
I too love it when we learn from our children.

Momma Roar said...

Wow! What an awesome response - and I know why, because she has an awesome mommy!

milissa said...

I'm new to the blogging world and discovering a lot of great blogs. I just started reading yours...it's fantastic.

LOVE this story! I don't have my own littles...but I'm of the age with many friends/family with littles...and they constantly amaze me. Their thoughtfulness, creativity, persistence, and unconditional love. It's sad we lose some of that as we grow up.

Sounds like you are doing a fabulous job with your littles. :)

 

Blog Design by: Jolanthe