Thursday, September 6, 2007

Blogging Break - Vacation Time

I can hardly sit still. We leave on Friday for our annual Beach trip to Florida! I can't wait. We have such a great time on a fabulous beach down there. It is quiet and most kids are in school, so we practically own the beach. There is a great little lunch cafe and an ice cream shop in walking distance. I mean, who can ask for more than that? The beach, the sun, an excellent tuna salad sandwich, and ice cream! AND, much of my mom's family lives down there, so we get to see them!

I will be taking a little break from blogging for our trip. I will STILL be here for Tiny Talk Tuesday, and I am sure I'll have some moments from our 13 hour car trip...UGH! I will probably post a picture each day if I can get to it, just to record our fun. I won't be reading all of your wonderful posts though as I am going to back off from my time spent on my goo*le reader!

So, what am I going to do instead of drop by your blog? Well, I am at the beach, so I think some of the sun bathing, splashing in the waves, and swimming in the pool is obvious. But I am going to use our quiet evenings to catch up on two of my other favorite things to do.

First, I hope to scrapbook. I love scrapbooking and am quite behind. My goal is to work on my family chronological album. I have left off in February of 2007 and would like to get a few months done.

Second, I hope to do some reading. I LOVE to read. For the last few months, most of my reading has been the bible and your blogs! I do miss my book reading. So, here are a few titles I am taking:

1. My Bible. Yes, I will continue my quest through the bible. I hope to spend some longer stretches of time in the Word and in prayer this trip!

2. A few Mary Higgins Clark books. I love mystery books. I always have. I read all of the Nancy Drew books as a kid and now I read all of Mary Higgins Clark's books. I hit the library before any trip and grab any new ones! I have about 3 for this trip.

3. The Hurried Child by David Elkind. This was recommended by a friend. The author is definately extreme in his viewpoint, but I love extreme, even when I don't agree. I am looking forward to this one (and already read chapter one) because it touches on a topic that is near and dear to me. I fear we really are pushing our little ones to grow up to fast, so I am interested to hear what he has to say.

4. Breathe: Creating Space for God in a Hectic Life by Keri Wyatt Kent. This one has been recommended by a few people. It was sent to all MOPS members as a gift last year. I have been wanting to read it and will make it a priority.

5. 7 tools for clutivating your child's potentail by Zan Tyler. This is one that I just saw on the library shelf. It looks good, so I grabbed it. I'll let you know!

6. The Well Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise. I plan to homeschool and Classical Education is intriguing to me, so I'd like to read more about it.

7. AND, just in case I finish all of that (which I doubt...if you have seen the length of The Well Trained Mind, then you know what I mean...), my dad gave me two titles:

Where in the World is the Church by Michael Horton and Rich Christians in an age of Hunger: Moving from affluence to generosity by Ronald Sider. I don't know anything about these, but I love to read thought provoking books and these both seem to fit the bill.

Yes, it is an extensive list, and I'll let you know which ones actually get read.

Third, I am hoping a cousin will be babysitting so we can spend a lovely night out with just my husband and I! Crossing my fingers...

Finally, I have been wanting to look through the HomeSchool Open House for ideas and inspiration, so I'll grab a pen and notebook to take notes and visit the blogs! (my only night of blogs)

Have a great week!

Have a great week and I'll see you later!


post signature

21 comments:

LilyLakeMom said...

That sounds like a very busy vacation!
I hope that you have plenty of time to rest and read all you want!
I just finished the latest MHC book, I Heard That Song Before, it was a good, fast read!
I am impressed that you are so current on your scrapbook...I am behind about 2 kids worth, at least! But it is fun to be creative without worrying about keeping up!
Travel Safe and Have Fun!!!
Lisa

Short Stop said...

Hope ya'll have a great time. We sure know what those long car trips are like in this house. UGH is right!

Enjoy your time of relaxation and fun with your family! :)

Lori said...

You have a wonderful vacation.

I too love to read.
I don't scrap book but I do stamp cards.

I hope you and your husband get to spend some alone time.

Enjoy! I will miss you and your posts. But it is so nice to take a break away.

Sittintall said...

Have a fabulous time. I'm sure being by the beach, you will.

Christy. said...

I found your blog recently through another. it sounds like you will have a great vacation! I love to read as well and have read almost all of Mary Higgins Clark's books too. My favorite author is Karen Kingsbury, she is a Christian author. She has many books in many series. Check her out, you will be hooked.

Foxy5 said...

Hey thanks for dropping by my blog! I'll have to come back to you on Tuesday... my children say the craziest things :)

I'm envious of your scrapbooking night WHILE on vacation. It sounds wonderful. My scrapbooking is WAY behind. My oldest will be 5 in December. My scrapbooking stops with him being 2 weeks old. My youngest will be 1 in a matter of weeks. I don't even own a book for her pictures yet. Yeah. I need a vacation. :)
Have a wonderful relaxing trip.

Momma Roar said...

Have a wonderful time - you will be missed!!

Christin said...

A few things:

1. very important question: Do I get to come?
2. So you read all the N.Drew books too? :) Never heard of the mystery author you spoke of...but I'm going to be looking her up. Love mysteries.
3. How long are you planning on being away? Because you listed, what? like 100 books. So either you're a speed reader, will be embarking on a year long vacation, or you are just really really really goal oriented and are forgetting that you have 3 children and a husband. *tease*
4. Unless you are...oh, say 4 years behind on your scrapbooking, please refrain from using the terms "behind" and "scrapbooking" in the same sentence around me. *wink*
5. We've done REALLY long car trips as well. 30plus hours on the last one. Do you have a dvd player? Or some vodka? *laughing* I'm joking people! :)

HAVE A BLAST, Mary!! I love in beach in September.

Traci said...

Have a great time! Enjoy everything you have planned. I had to read The Hurried Child for an education class in college. It's a good book. Be safe!

chickadee said...

wow that sounds great! i hope you have a wonderful trip.

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

Ok - you're gonna laugh - I read #7 as tools for cultivating your child's "ponytail!" hee hee hee In a flash, I thought, hmm, with a tenderheaded daughter, maybe I need that one! LOL!!
Seriously, though, have a fun time on vacation.

MightyMom said...

good for you and enjoy.

there'll be lots to see when you come back to blog-land ;-)

Dawnelle said...

Have a great vacation!!!

Scribbit said...

We're planning our own Florida trip in March--I'll have to check in to see how yours is/was!

Joy said...

I'll miss you but have a fabulous time!

Kris said...

Have a great time!
K

MorningSong said...

Well, I hope you squeeze in some silly fun b/w all those books. LOL!

I know you will! Have a fun and safe trip! You will be missed in the blog world for sure!

Blessings,

Carrie! :o) said...

Have a fun and safe trip!

inspired said...

Enjoy ;o]

Amber said...

One thing I would really love to do is start scrapbooking.

I hope you have a wonderful time with your family!!!

God Bless,
Amber

onemotherslove said...

Good grief, that's a lot of books! Good luck. I'm ready for TTT!

 

Blog Design by: Jolanthe